Friday, June 3, 2011

Big Earl's Barbeque

Being from the East coast, I can accurately call myself a bit of a barbeque snob. That's not to say that I only go to fine dining institutions, but that I know good barbeque when I eat it. And I found it. 
You know a barbecue place is going to be good when you smell it over two blocks away. That's what first led us to grab a menu and peruse. We came back a week later, and ate there.
We ordered oysters and sweetbreads for appetizers, and my were they amazing. My mother is a huge seafood fan and she raved about the oysters and ate nearly all of them. The sweetbreads were actually breaded, but not so much as to mask the meat. They too were very good. 
Each main course was delicious, from the beef ribs (my little brother's kid's meal) to my catfish po'boy. 
The drinks are really good too. The lemonade was not overly sweet, while the sweet tea was just like getting it in the south.They serve all the non-alcoholic drinks in Mason jars!
What really made an impression though, was the staff. Polite, courteous, and helpful they all made sure to stop by and see that we were doing well. The waitress was well versed in the menu, and was even able to debate the merits of enjoying a good deep-fried pickle. The barman knew everything in stock and made sure everybody's glasses (or jars) stayed full. And the best part was that the chef, Tony, made it a point to come out of the kitchen periodically to go around to the tables and ask everyone what they thought of the food and if they were enjoying their meal.
Although not everything on the menu was tried, at least that gives us an excuse to go back. Often.
And if you go, ask Tony about his rib tip appetizer.


Big Earl's BBQ
7213 E 1st Ave
ScottsdaleAZ 85251

No comments:

Post a Comment